If I could ask for anything this holiday season, I would ask for a folding bike. There are so many reasons I would want one that I'll have a hard time limiting myself to just nine. I think I will sneak a few bullet points under each reason.
Clearly, it is not a gift you would buy for just anyone. But for someone near and dear, on whom you would not mind splurging a little, someone who seems to have everything, especially if that someone also lives in a big city, for that someone a folding bike is the perfect gift.
- If ordinary bikes give you freedom to move around the city with ease and sidestep traffic woes, folding bikes crank that freedom up another notch. For the urban dweller, folding bikes offer the ultimate in versatility and flexibility:
- allow you to combine biking with transit, taxi cabs,
- let you bail if you have to work late or the weather turns inclement,
- easy to store at home or at the office and take in and out of buildings,
- they even go with you inside a store or restaurant, and thus...
- folding bikes never, ever have to be locked outside or be in danger of getting stolen!
- Car-based road trips
- Business trips
- Car or train weekend trips
- International travel
- Ideal for airline personnel or boat and aircraft owners
- The small wheels on most folding bikes give them a low stand-over height, making it easy to get on and off the bike quickly, and maneuver through tight spots and sharp corners.
- Many folding bikes offer a fairly upright, head-up, riding position, which is great for stop-and-go commuting, running errands, and most other urban riding situations.
- The friendly geometry of most folding bikes makes it possible to comfortably ride one in almost any attire, including office garb and skirts. If the weather turns, see point #1, above.
And, oh, BTW, it is a package that...
All photos by Jay Madden.